I have a small, minor albeit gigantic obsession with pickled everything. One of my favorite San Diego joints, Sausage and Meat, has the most amazing pickled onions and I grub on them as I am double fisting sausages and shoveling them into my mouth. Get your head out of the gutter! That got weird. If you are ever around these parts, do yourself a favor and go there. Bison chipotle sausage, fried pork belly bites, bacon fat deviled eggs, churro chicharone…enough said!
This recipe is a quick copy of the tart delicousness that is my favorite pickled onions. My first round I did not use any kind of sugar. Sugar can act as a preserver in some cases when pickling but the lime juice and vinegar in this recipe are sufficient enough to not necessarily need it. The first batch ended up a bit too tart for my liking. After the second round I realized the sugar is also there to help balance out the vinegar and the lime juice.
I chose to use honey for this recipe. Raw, local honey is a healthier option than processed white sugar that is normally used in pickling recipes. Eat raw honey is also supposed to help with seasonal allergies which I am sometimes a victim, so extra bonus. If you are doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox or avoiding sugar for other reasons, you can leave it out. It will change the flavor profile a bit, but either way they taste good. Top a bunch of these on some deviled eggs and you will be in heaven!
- 2 medium red onions, sliced thin ⅛ inch
- 2 thinly sliced limes
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp honey (optional
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp whole coriander
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 cups water to boil, about 1 cup water, used to fill jar(s)
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil
- Place sliced onions in a glass bowl, cover completely with hot water for 30 seconds
- Pour into colander to drain
- Place onions and lime slices in jar(s). I used two pint jars, wide mouthed.
- In medium sauce pan combine vinegar, lime juice, salt, honey, peppercorns and coriander.
- Stir till salt and honey are completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture over onions
- Fill jars with remaining water
- Cover jars and allow to cool for 30 minutes
To a nourished life,