This recipe came about as a happy accident in a way. I knew I wanted meatballs. Who doesn’t want meatballs? No one, that’s who! I knew I wanted them in a casserole form because my weekly meal prep always includes at least one casserole. It also usually includes one something thrown into the slow cooker and some egg cups for breakfasts on the go during the week. I knew I wanted to create an option that could be made diary free, and I knew I wanted it to taste amazing! So I grabbed a spaghetti squash, some ground beef and ground pork and my Spicy Italian Seasoning Blend and got to work.
It is an understandment to say I am obsessed with this recipe. OBSESSED. I have made it more times than I can count (that is an exaggeration, obviously, I can count pretty high…I think), with several variations and all of them amazing. All of them worthy of my obsession. I even fed it to a few friends who also had obsessive like feelings toward this dish. Granted it was 1 am and they had been drinking at the time, but we cannot blame their obsession on the alcohol because it was still just as delicious the next morning served as a breakfast starter as well! Whatever time of day you chose to dine on this casserole, I assure you obsession will ensue!
While this recipe requires a few steps, they are all worth it in the end. It is up to you and your digestion whether you add cheese. I do not always add cheese to my dishes, but when I do it is always from a grass-fed source and I always thoroughly enjoy it! This time I used a Kerrygold Dubliner cheese which is a harder texture cheese with a sharp, mildly sweet taste. Obviously, a high quality mozzarella would also be amazing. I have not tried that yet, but I will eventually add that to my list of variations. Like all the others, I am sure I will be obsessed!
To a nourished life,
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup minced onions
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Otto's Natural Cassava Flour
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Italian Seasoning Blend
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups Bone Broth Marinara
- 5 cups of Spaghetti Squash noodles
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
- Place all meatball ingredients in food processer and pulse until blended.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place 20 1-2 inch diameter meatballs, there will be left over meat
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes
- Stab the spaghetti squash, put in oven on foil while meatballs bake. Squash is done when slightly tender.
- Let spaghetti squash cool, then cut in half, scoop out seeds and gut matter. Use a fork to remove the noodles.
- While meatballs and spaghetti squash bake, brown the remaining meat
- Mix browned meat, eggs, Bone Broth Marinara, and spaghetti squash noodles together
- Pour into greased, 3 qt glass baking dish
- Place meatballs on top, pressing into spaghetti mixture
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes