Saint Patrick’s Day is on its way, which means binge drinking and corned beef and cabbage eating for most. It also means those McDonalds commercials touting the deliciousness of their Shamrock Shakes. This deliciousness however, comes with a price and I don’t mean the 3-5 dollars you will fork over for a cup full of green whipped gunk. Did you know that since the 1970s over 60 million of these shakes have been sold. Those 60 plus million people probably have no idea that the minty treat they are annually consuming has countless ingredients which include unnecessary additives and dangerous chemicals. If that isn’t enough to turn you off….a large, 22 oz. shake contains 115 grams of sugar. Are your teeth aching right now? Because mine are, YUCK! Over 60 million cups of minty, toxic, sugary shit has been sold. That makes my stomach turn!
There website casually disguises this information by making it appear that there are only four ingredients; vanilla reduced fat ice cream, shamrock shake syrup, topped with whipped cream and garnished with a maraschinos cherry. If you click around and do some investigating you quickly realize the truth is a lot deeper, sweeter and more toxic than just four simple ingredients:
- VANILLA REDUCED FAT ICE CREAM
- Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.
- SHAMROCK SHAKE SYRUP
- High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Sugar, Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Yellow 5, Blue 1.
- WHIPPED CREAM
- Cream, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains Less Than 1%: Mono-And Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Beta Carotene (Color), Natural (Dairy and Plant Sources) and Artificial Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) to Protect Flavor. Whipping Propellant (Nitrous Oxide).
- MARASCHINO CHERRY
- Cherries, Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Natural (Plant Source) and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Red 40, Sulfur Dioxide as Preservative (Contains Sulfites).
I don’t even know if I have ever had a shamrock shake. That’s a lie, I am pretty sure I have, and I loved it, but I blocked it out of my memory for obvious reason. I now feel gross just thinking about drinking those things. That explains the selective amnesia. I took my rage toward the chemically engineered shit-storm called the Shamrock Shake and created these Hidden Greens Shamrock Gummies. They are just like the beloved Shamrock Shakes, only more delicious, better for you, and lacking any toxic overload. They are made with real, fresh ingredients with a little “hidden” veggies to get that green color with an extra boost of nutrients. Plus you all know how I feel about getting added gelatin into your diet. I love it! If you don’t already know my love for gelatin you can read about it here and here.
- Put all ingredients except gelatin into blender or food processor.
- Pulse until fully blended.
- Pour into sauce pan.
- Bring to a light simmer.
- Sprinkle in gelatin while simultaneously whisking.
- Pour mixture into greased 9X9 glass dish.
- Let set in fridge for at least an hour.
- Use cookie cutters to create shapes, or cut into squares and enjoy!
To a nourished life,